Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Guest Post: Happy Moments

Krissie is yet another former roommate of ours. I have known her since she was a frightened 11 year old moving into a new place and have shared so many happy times with her that I can't remember them all. She and her new husband, Barry, live in Woods Cross, Utah where they work and play and do all those wonderfully sappy things newlyweds do. Krissie sent us this post as a reply to our "Happiness is..." posts and I wanted to share it with the rest of you.

I guess the thing that I will post is what has made me the happiest recently. I can't send in the thousand images that make me smile or feel all warm and fuzzy inside, but I can send the one that makes me the happiest right now.

I remember pieces of wedding planning and things I thought were important. I dreamed of a wedding that was elaborate and beautiful. A church filled with family and friends. I remember sitting in my boyfriend's car one night and asking him what kind of wedding he wished for. All he could manage to say was one that made me his wife.

When our wedding day arrived, I sat on the steps at Temple Square in Salt Lake City with my husband and all my family, new and old, and I felt like I could glow with all the happiness that I felt inside (kind of like Yvaine from Stardust. How interesting would it be if people actually did glow when they were in love? A lot more ladies would be a lot less single, that is for sure). Aside from the happiness I felt in that moment, I remembered all the moments that led up to being there, with him, and how, for the first time, I felt just fine to be me. The girl that loved him.

Obviously, there are many things that make me happy. But I am a believer in moments that culminate to one perfectly happy moment. I know that everyone says that getting married was the best day of their lives. And, you know, that is true for most people. Not necessarily
because they married the man of their dreams (although that is a huge factor), but because for one moment they are sure of themselves and of who they are. And for the rest of your life, you go back to that moment in your head when you knew that you were everything you ever wanted to be and that was, finally, more than enough.

So, these things make me happy. A bright warm afternoon with me looking fantastic and feeling even better. A man who is better then anything I could dream of because he is real and I got to pick him for myself. All of my siblings gathered around me looking like little versions of my parents, laughing and joking and smiling. A life that finally made me feel like I had done everything right. And this moment:

No comments: