Monday, March 22, 2010

Live In The Now

The weather has been great lately and I realize that it's so much easier to get up and out the door. Everything is better when the sun is out and the day is cool and breezy. So, I was driving to work and heard the lyrics, "It's time I forget the past and just learn to love what I have," and that got me thinking. I've been dwelling a lot lately. Not so much moping about how things are or regretting things I have done or wishing for things to be different, but dwelling on how certain things used to be.

My social situation is not ideal. My work situation is not ideal. My living situation is not ideal. None of those things are what I hoped they would be at this point in my life, but that doesn't mean they are bad. I have a friends, old and new, that I can talk to whenever I need them. I (finally) have a job that is paying me well and that I enjoy going to every day. I live with family and I get cuddles from my nephews anytime I want them. There are things in my life, right now, that are wonderful. Dwelling on the past only makes those things seem less wonderful and puts me in a bad mood.

And, here's the truth of it, I don't want to be back where I was. I've been there. I left those places and situations for a reason. Yes, I loved always having someone to go do something with whenever I felt like it. Yes, I loved the freedom of living on my own. Yes, I miss a lot about those times and people and situations. But why should that mean I am less happy with my current times and people and situations? The past should enhance our present and if it doesn't, then there's no point in dwelling on it.

I guess the point of this ramble of a blog post is that we should look around and enjoy what we have right now. Love the place where you live and the people that are around you. You never know when things will change and regret is one of the most unlovely things in this world. You don't want to get so caught up thinking about how things used to be that you forget to see how things are.

No comments: