Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Be Crafty

I have a lot of hobbies. I'm a collector of hobbies really, a hobby connoisseur. I like to draw, paint, sew, crochet, scrapbook, build things and decoupage anything I can get my hands on. My closest friends make fun of me (in that way only the closest of friends can) because I tend to repeat the following phrase very often: "Oh! That's cool, but I could make it better and cheaper."

This is pretty much the motivation behind all my hobbies. I see something, I want it, I make it. If I fail, who cares? Well, I care because I'm a controlling perfectionist when it comes to designing, crafting and creating, but that is for another post. Moving on. The truth is, I really don't know how to do a lot of things when I first set out to do them, but I try not to let that stop me. I was really really bad at crocheting when I first started, but I chalked that up to the fact that in my family, you learn to crochet when you are 11 and I just didn't have the patience. Now I spend hours doing it. I follow my crafting whims and because of that I have created some really cool things. Original tutus, pirate chests, princess ABC books, blankets, capes, personal library kits and more!

And now you are saying, "But Lindsey, I have no crafting ability at all!" I say you are wrong. There is a creative outlet available for everyone. If you can't draw, knit. If you can't knit, paint. If you can't do any of the things I have suggested, go back to the beginning and color with some crayons. The point is to not limit yourself. Don't say "I can't" because it's just not true. Maybe it won't turn out perfect (heaven knows my sewing projects are never even or straight) but it will look beautiful in the end because you made it. Best of all, you will feel accomplished...that is really my favorite part. You can bask in the glow of accomplishment and pat yourself on the back. You can enjoy the excitement of giving away a handmade treasure and watching someone else fall in love with it.

So go! Create! Write a song, draw a picture, do a dance! Whatever it is, just be crafty and have fun doing it!

5 comments:

Heidi Marie said...

this is a great way to build self esteem too! Pres. Utchdorf taught that last year in the October General Relief Society conference. He said we as women need to have compassion and we need to be creative and those to separate but also could be connected things build confidence, esteem, all that jazz. When I'm bored or my husbands doing homework I just want to find something to create, create anything, cause I know it'll give me a feeling of accomplishment, no matter what it turns out to be. haha

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

yes! this is the key to self-esteem. human beings are creative creatures. plant a garden, learn a new crafting skill, organize something in your house, solve a problem in your environment or life. there are so many ways to find this outlet, and it's so important. thank you for this post!

Meg said...

It's so true. You've taught me to make all kinds of things despite my supposed lack of crafting ability. There's something so satisfying about creating something you can feel proud of, especially when you subsequently give it away or get to use it. Awesometown.

sarah savage said...

amen! i was just realizing the benefit of that mindset last year when president uchtdorf gave a talk about creating. it was like the talk was written just for me. it pushed me over the mental-edge and now i realize that i should let go of my inhibitions and just create. and if i fail? who cares! because most of the fun is in trying and laughing at yourself when you fail miserably, right?

Lin said...

Sarah - so true! I just made some wizard robes for my nephew for his Halloween costume and realized that, like always, all I can see is where I "messed up." Yes, it isn't perfect, but he likes it and it looks good on him. Time to focus on how much fun I had making it and how much fun he will have wearing it!