Monday, June 2, 2014

You are only as old as the music you listen to, right?

One of the little 13-year-olds I work with at church asked me if I knew who Beyoncé was the other day.

Oh please, child! I've been listening to Beyoncé since before you were born.

I actually answered with something much more polite and leader-talking-to-youth appropriate, but that was what I wanted to say in the moment. Do I really seem that old to these teenagers? I really am not that old. I'm still in my twenties. Barely in my twenties, but it still counts. I am young, people! YOUNG!

Today, however, a Destiny's Child song came up in my morning mix of music and many, many memories of listening to them in high school started popping into my head. Curious, I did the math of how long ago those high school days were and I came to a sad, sad realization: I literally have been listening to Beyoncé since before that poor girl at church was born.

Guys. I might be getting old.

This year is speeding towards my 30th birthday faster than I might like, but the fact is that there isn't a single thing I can do to change it. The best I can hope for is to start counting my birthdays the same way that my mother does: this year won't be my 30th birthday, it is the first anniversary of my 29th birthday.

Luckily, old or not old is all a matter of perspective. I might seem old to a group of 12 and 13 year-olds, but I am sure that to someone else I still seem like a spring chicken. Hey, if anything, if we want to feel young, all we need to do is go find a group of people who have never heard of Beyoncé, right?

Either that, or find strength in numbers. If any of you are feeling old, come on over to my place. My husband works late, so we can all sit around and listen to Destiny's Child together...

1 comment:

Meg said...

Yeah, the other day I was listening to something that was super new and cool when I was in college, and suddenly realize that it's like 12 years old now. Whoops.