Friday, April 4, 2014

Not really a link post

Here are a few fun links anyway.

Check out HelloGiggles' 10 Female Celebrities Who Have Amazing Views on Body Image.  I think there are so many well known female figures for girls and women to look up to now.  I don't feel like I had that many choices when I was in high school and, really, that wasn't too long ago.  Maybe they just didn't speak out as often or maybe there were fewer places willing to give them the opportunity to do so, but it makes me feel better for the younger generations.  They will have a lot of hard stuff to deal with, hopefully hearing what some of these women have to say will help.


Another awesome quote from one of the ladies featured in the above 10, Kate Winslet, popped up on my newsfeed about a month ago.  I love what Kate Winslet and the author, Kacy Faulconer, had to say on the subject of motherhood and I think it extends to all women.  Here's my favorite part:

"And then Kate Winslet issued the most perfect statement about motherhood. She says, “There’s something really empowering about going, ‘Hell, I can do this! I can do this all!’ That’s the wonderful thing about mothers, you can because you must, and you just DO.”

I don’t have a star on the Walk of Fame, and it’s not just me being modest when I say my chances of winning an Oscar® are zero. But I have felt empowered through mothering. Going through it and just doing it (because, like Kate says, you must) is empowering. You gain confidence and learn that you can do it. I’m not an expert on motherhood, but I’m surviving it and that is a triumph."

This is not an awful thing to be reminded of after a day of battling children.  You do what you do because you must and you can. 

Finally, this article from the director of Frozen, Jennifer Lee. It reminds me a little of the question Joss Whedon has stated he gets from so many people about why he writes strong female characters.  Why are people still asking what it's like to be a female director?  The answer is obviously that it's just the same as being a male director.  It's literally the same job.  Jennifer points out that the differences come when they leave the story room and walk the red carpet.  It's an interesting insight.  Also, I'm really glad I don't have to ever walk a red carpet.  

No comments: