Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Confessions of a Pregnant Weeper

We all know that pregnancy hormones creates an onslaught of emotions we'd all rather not deal with. I'd like to say that most of the times these emotions are very valid and sincere, but unfortunately that is not the case for me. Here are some of the more ridiculous things I've cried about while gestating.

Asian man in truck: It was pretty early on in my pregnancy while my baby was developing vital organs such as his brain and heart and such, so my body was working overtime...that being said, I was driving home and I saw a young Asian man driving a large truck. He looked so small and innocent behind the wheel of the menacing machinery and I was suddenly struck by how fast people grow up and have to go into the world and drive big trucks of their own. I of course burst into sobs.

It's a Hard Knock Life: Again while driving I was listening to show tunes (because I am really cool) and It's a Hard Knock Life came on Sirius Radio. I lasted until around, "No one's there when your dreams at night get creepy! No one cares if you grow...of if you shrink! No one dries when your eyes get wet an' weepy! From all the cryin' you would think this place's a sink!" Then I melted into a blubbery mess. Because orphans.

My daughter's lisp: My daughter has a very very slight lisp. It's the most adorable thing in the world. Occasionally when she's telling me an experience that made her especially sad or happy, her speech patterns are so irresistibly adorable that they will bring tears to my eyes because of her innocence and sweet nature.

My sister's bachelorette party: Weddings can be emotional for anyone, especially a pregnant person. That being said, the night before my sister's wedding we were having a FUN PARTY which didn't include ANY EMOTIONAL STIMULI. Right after opening a bunch of scandalous gifts from her friends and playing lots of fun games I started picturing all the girls women at the party as I'll always remember them. Little girls. My sister is six years younger than I and I've known most of her friends and watched them grow up and suddenly it hit me that my little sister was getting MARRIED and I couldn't stop crying. Seriously, I was leaking out of my eyes and even though I got control over my voice and my heart, I couldn't stop inexplicably leaking tears. I kept wiping them away and all her friends were looking at me like I was a lunatic (which I am).

It's a Boy! Now lots of women cry during ultrasounds, especially when learning the gender. This one is more of the way than I cried than the actual subject material. I have two daughters, and the ultrasound tech whispered to my girls what kind of baby I would be having. My two year old informed me that it was going to be another sister, and I'm not going to lie, as much as I love daughters I was a little let down that I wasn't going to be having a son. That is until the Tech corrected my two year old and said, "No it's not a sister, it's a boy!" Perhaps it was my initial let down that caused me to be caught up in a storm of emotions. I was on the verge of tears learning that it was a girl, and now it was going to be a boy and the sudden and surprising high caught me in an uncontrollable sob. I had to get a hold of myself because I was shaking so badly she couldn't continue the ultrasound. picture a grown woman on a table curled up in the fetal position shaking like a crazy person and ugly crying. Pregnancy. 

1 comment:

Mandy said...

The one with asian man in the truck was the best! Early on in my pregnancy with Logan, I cried while watching Blue's Clues. In all fairness it was the Christmas one where they flashback to Steve's childhood when he first met Blue. And at the end Blue got to call him at college. Don't even get me started on Toy Story 3...