Monday, October 28, 2013

Ann's Spooky Halloween Reads

When we were talking about posts in October, my first thought was that I would love to collaborate on a book post with my friend and former roommate Ann. I'm not sure I know anyone who loves being scared as much as she does. (I lived with her when she went to see Paranormal Activity, and I think she slept with her lights on for a week - but she LOVED it.)  As a librarian and genuine connoisseur of all things creepy, she is a fantastic guide through the world of creepy gothic ghostliness. Here are some great books for you to check out this Halloween week!


Yes. This is Ann one Halloween.

Picture Books:
The House That Drac Built by Judy Sierra
Los Gatos Black on Halloween by Marisa Montes
Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson

YA:
Coraline by Neil Gaiman
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
The Diviners by Libba Bray

Adult Fiction:
The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story by Shirley Hill
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
A Wicked Way to Burn by Margaret Miles
The Ghost Writer by John Harwood
We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (I would add that The Haunting of Hill House (Penguin Classics) by Jackson is just as good, but this one is more bizarre and unconventionally creepy.)

She adds: "I haven't read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children but it scares me just to look at it."

Does it scare you?


What are your favorite Halloween reads?

Disclosure: This is an Amazon affiliate post. If you click on any of these links and purchase the book, the blog gets a small percentage. The opinions are our own. Or rather, Ann's. 

1 comment:

ferskner said...

MEEEEEEE!!!!!! Thanks for the chance to spread Halloween glee!