Friday, April 26, 2013

Screen-Free Week: A Pledge

A couple of months ago, I got a smart phone. And it is great. But I kind of always have this nagging feeling that it has taken over my life, and I haven't quite figured out what to do about it.

The other night I was reading an article on Power of Moms about Screen Free Week, which is next week, April 29th-May 5th. My daughter isn't old enough to have any screen time really, but I started thinking about my own screen time, and suddenly I really wanted to participate. At first I thought, "But I can't do that, because I don't really watch things on TV (just on Netflix and Hulu) and I need my phone and computer for . . ." I started thinking about the things I actually NEED to use my screens for, and I realized that compared to the number of things I actually use them for, the number is small.

For screen-free week, kids are asked to give up ALL recreational screen time. They are allowed to use the computer when it's necessary for their homework assignments, and that's it.  My husband said he would go no screen with me, but his job relies very heavily on using a computer, so he'll just eliminate all extraneous screen use. For me, that's a little squishier, so I'm setting some specific limits according to the things that are "needs," sort of.
  1. I can keep this blog running by checking once in the morning to make sure posts go up, and once in the evening to make sure posts are scheduled for the next day. I will probably ask one of the other contributors to take care of the blog promotion via facebook and pinterest. I should limit this time to half an hour or less total for the day.
  2. I can send picture messages of CB to her grandparents, else they will suffer serious withdrawals. Other pictures and videos I want to take of her need to be done with my camera to keep my phone from being a constant temptation in my hand.
  3. I can check my email once a day to make sure I don't miss anything time-sensitive and essential, and I can reply to things that fall into those categories. 
  4. I can answer text messages, but not initiate long text conversations just because I'm bored. 
Here are some of the things I want to do during the week (which I am listing now so I won't suffer withdrawals and wonder what to do with my life.
  • Organize my closet and ditch the clothes I no longer wear because they are from my freshman year of college.
  • Use the fabric I've been saving and sew myself a bag from one of the bags I have pinned on pinterest (print before the week begins). 
  • Make the Mother's Day presents I've been wanting to make for my mom and mother-in-law.
  • Go to the library and check out books for myself and CB.
  • Start a new book to fill the hole left by my recently finished Malcolm Gladwell book.
  • Cook something new and exciting.
  • Finish getting the spare room ready for our home-stay Korean student, who will be here in a week.
  • Go for lots of walks.
  • Listen to more music and podcasts while working on things (rather than sticking the TV on in the background.) 
  • Finish/start my spring cleaning.
  • Spend time at the park with my husband and baby.
When I finish, I'm going to write a post about it, so look forward to that. And if you want to join me, you'd better tell me now before I unplug! 


No comments: