Thursday, January 7, 2010

Sisters Do As Sisters Should

I've been thinking a lot about sisterhood lately.

I'm curious if men feel the same need...or do they just appreciate that brotherly relationship once it happens?

I know I'm not the only woman who feels a need for sisterhood. Not just friendships, but true, unconditional sisterly love. I have a sister of my own and we have an amazing relationship. I've lucked out in that department. I have friends (like Megan) who only have brothers and we've talked about this quite a bit. Is Megan missing out on something that I hold so very dear?

Obviously the answer is no. That would be silly. The truth is, anyone can be a sister. I have a handful of friends that I consider to be like sisters. I turn to them in times of crisis or in happy times almost as much as I turn to my own sister. I know that my sister has similar relationships. It doesn't lessen what we have, but it strengthens the bond we share with those friends. They are the type of friend you will call when you have babies and when those babies go to college and when you go through menopause. You'll call them up and you'll go through all the current stuff remembering how things were when you were in your 20s and had (in retrospect) nothing to worry about.

You'll remember when they were there to comfort you during a family crisis when all of your family was 2000 miles away. You'll remember when it was just the two of you doing stupid stuff in the halls of your dorm and how hilarious it all was. You'll remember the thoughtful gifts from a person who knows you so well that it doesn't matter how far apart you live or how long it's been since you last saw each other. You'll remember all of it, happy and sad, because it was more than friendship - it was sisterhood.

And, just because...




http://www.hulu.com/watch/37752/saturday-night-live-the-lawrence-welk-show#s-p3-sa-i1

No comments: