Monday, November 17, 2014

The most wonderful time of the year

Some may consider this blasphemous, but I am not speaking about Christmas. Yes, I adore Christmas and everything that goes with it.  But truly, my heart lies with another season.  Fall is where it's at.   It's always been my favorite.  Just like Lorelai Gilmore and snow, I love fall. Why, you may ask? I shall tell you!

-The autumnal foliage. It's gorgeous. Suddenly the plants that have been green through spring and summer are now these rich, wonderful shades of gold, and burgundy and brown.

-The smells. You really can't beat the smell of a fresh pumpkin pie. Plus everything is spiced. The delicious smells of cinnamon and nutmeg in an apple pie. The sweet smell of a chocolate pie just asking to be eaten.

-You guessed it. Pie. 'Nuff said

-The weather.  I am not a fan of sweating. In fact it's rather annoying. Probably something I should have learned to deal with before moving to Texas... In fall it isn't cold, and it isn't hot. There is often a slight breeze that just brushes against your face.

-The clothes. You can add a few layers and not hide them under a huge jacket. You can add scarves and boots without having to wear big snow boots and huge fluffy scarves to cover you face. Plus the tan you have been cultivating all summer now nicely compliments the colors of the foliage outside.

-The preparations. This may sound crazy to most, but I love preparing for the holidays. I like to try and make them last as long as possible, without driving those around me insane. My way of doing that is preparing. Lists of foods for Thanksgiving. Old favorites and new experiments. Decorations for the Thanksgiving table. New ways to celebrate the wonderful season inside my home. And Christmas prep. Making lists of ideas, finding prices and looking for deals. I'm odd.

-Crafting. Fall has also become my excuse to spend extra money and time on crafts. Hobby Lobby probably loves this season for that reason. I spend so much more time making and brainstorming. I love crafts, and without my specific dedication to them in the fall, I would probably never get to do them.

-The weather, again. All summer I run around outside with my children, and I love it. All winter I stay inside or spend an absurd amount of time getting ready to go outside. And in the fall I can take a chair outside, and sit comfortably. I can even sometimes use a light blanket. Just because I love the feel of being under a blanket.

-The food. I know I already spoke of pie, and honestly, it deserves it's own bullet point. But now I am talking about everything else. Caramel apples, apple pie, stuffing, turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, pears, apple cider. It's all so delicious. And as an added bonus, as if you needed it. Who cares if you eat too many calories, those wonderful scarves and layers can hide it until you feel motivated to move again.

Really, there isn't a single thing that I don't like about Fall; and, if you knew me, that really wouldn't surprise you at all. I am sure there are people out there who have different opinions. It is their right, no matter how crazy it is, to have that opinion.  But, if you ask me, Fall certainly comes in at 1 out of 4.

No comments: