Thursday, August 14, 2014

I'm so glad you are my last love

There is a pop song that came out recently that keeps rubbing me the wrong way. Okay, actually, there are probably quite a few new pop songs that are rubbing me the wrong way these days (because, as we discovered in my last post, I am now old), but this one I have more of a reason than "ugggh, it's just so annoying!"

The song is as follows:

"I wish you were my first love/ 'cause if you were my first/ baby there would have been no second, third or fourth love..."

Well, apologies to the somewhat legendary singer, but I have to disagree. My husband was not my first love and, rather than wishing it otherwise, I wouldn't have it any other way.


If it weren't for my first, second, third or fourth loves, I wouldn't have learned about what kind of person that I wanted to become. If it weren't for my fifth, sixth and seventh loves, I wouldn't have known exactly what I wanted in the man I love. If it weren't for all the loves that came before the one that I find myself with today, my life wouldn't be this wonderful life I am living. You weren't my first love, Sam, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

My life has not been perfect up until now and it certainly is not perfect at this moment, either. It is, however, an incredibly entertaining, fulfilling, warm, loved and blessed life and I thank my lucky stars for every experience- good and bad- that has led me to where I am now. Hopefully, I am going to keep moving and growing and learning as life goes on. Hopefully, as my husband and I stumble and make our mistakes, we will never wish those hard times away. I hope I learn from them, and then appreciate them and then maybe even love them, because each and every one is helping me become the amazing wife, the mother and the woman I know I am capable of becoming.

No comments: