Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Be Your Own Best Friend

A couple of nights ago, I was talking to a friend about random things.  This particular friend and I have both recently been making a bigger effort to try new things and make positive life changes. It's refreshing to find a friend who happens to be striving for the same things at the same time.  At some point during our evening, she very adamantly stated that everyone should be their own best friend. She had quotes to back this up.  I was slightly dismayed to realize that I don't think I am my own best friend.  In fact, I am the hardest on myself.  From what I know of my friends and family, I think this is a trait most women share.

It can be difficult to be nice to yourself. It's easy to let negativity take over, especially when you are having a rough day.  It's easy to compare yourself to other people.  It's easy to tend to the needs of other people and ignore the difficulties in your own life.  Put it off till tomorrow until tomorrow because next week or month or year. 


Strive to be kinder to yourself. Treat yourself like you treat your best friend. Would you criticize your best friend for having an untidy house? Would you ignore her when you knew she needed a breather or someone to talk to? Take time for yourself. Try to really figure out who you are and what you are about and, here's the kicker, ask yourself if you actually like those things. If you don't, make moves to improve and change for the better. Set goals and work toward them, but don't be discouraged when the end doesn't turn out exactly the way you planned. Goals are not always meant to be met. Sometimes they lead you to paths and opportunities you didn't know existed. Be comfortable in your skin. Don't be so hard on yourself. Reward yourself.  That might be the most important.

Of course, I'm not saying we don't need other people, because we do need them. We need them to remind us and to support us in our endeavors to be better. To shine a light during times of frustration and confusion. To make us laugh. We need them so we have the chance to serve and help them in return. Friends, husbands, sisters, mothers, neighbors. We are all struggling to figure things out, but there is no need to constantly judge yourself. Be who you are and love who you are.

*BTW. I made this poster here. It's awesome. Check it out.

No comments: