Friday, September 13, 2013

Links for a Friday

Oh, Friday.  You couldn't have come sooner.

Now for some links to go along with this loveliest of days.

Check out this awesome list of "Captivating Commercial Art" over on Stuff You Should Know.  I'm a sucker for this stuff.  And while you're at it, check out the rest of Stuff You Should Know, including their awesome podcast, it's a quick and fun way to expand your knowledge on so many topics, and it's slightly addictive.

I've been holding on to this one for a while, just because I like it.  I'm a fan of Zooey Deschanel and her blog, HelloGiggles, and I really like this response.  It's not unlike what we are aiming for here.  She says, "I just felt it's important to teach young girls to be strong people, to not think, I can't do this because I'm worried about what people will say… When somebody says, 'That idea's stupid,' you stop your flow of ideas. We can't have the next generation be so afraid because they have been attacked."

On a somewhat similar note, this dad tried to teach his daughter a lesson about modesty in a way that would have absolutely killed me as a teenager.  Luckily, my dad could never pull off short-shorts.  Honestly, neither could I so there wasn't really an issue there.  I just like the alternative method.  Sometimes talking and arguing doesn't cut it, but that girl will never forget spending the evening with her dad in a pair of cut off shorts.

This I just love.  11 Authors Who Hated the Movie Versions of Their Books.  I had heard of a few of these, but I'm intrigued by the whole process of turning a book into a movie.  I can't imagine how difficult it would be to turn over creative control like that.

Over on Babble, check out my friend Kacy's postsThis one made me actually consider watching So You Think You Can Dance.  Not to mention, another book-related post.  I can't get enough of those.

And finally, because I love Tumblr and random bits of useless knowledge, check out Fill the Silence and get gems like this every day:


No comments: