Friday, September 20, 2013

It's Friday, Lovely Readers!

Happy Friday!

 If you've ever wanted to measure your child based on their development please read What Should a 4 Year Old Know. It's a good reminder about how to measure kids by their worth and not their abilities. "What does a 4 year old need? Much less than we realize, and much more."

I recently came across 20 historic photos colorized and not only am I amazed that technology allows this, but I'm amazed at how the color really brings the history to life. This photo titled "Migrant Mother" is one of the most heartbreaking photos I've ever seen. When it's colorized I realize that she could be my friend. She could be me.



This article on hating the phrase "Strong Female Characters" opened my eyes in a new way to inequality in literature and film and made me rethink the phrase. (I myself often bemoan a lack of "strong female characters" in literature). 

I love this tradition started back in 2005 by a couple while sitting on a beach in the UK. Do you have any photography traditions of your own?


I've always appreciated people who are patient with me and my children, even when my kids are acting like hyenas. This letter titled Dear Parents, you need to control your kids. Sincerely, Non Parents really summed up my feelings on the subject.  "Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do. You shouldn’t scrutinize parents when you aren’t one, for the same reason I wouldn’t sit and heckle an architect while he draws up the blueprint for a new skyscraper. I know that buildings generally aren’t supposed to fall down, but I don’t have the slightest clue as to how to design one that won’t."

I absolutely love this article in which a woman reflects on the value of educating women--yes, even those who chose to stay home with her children. She states: "My point is, when a highly educated woman is home with her children day in and day out, she weaves the riches of her education into their lives in continuous, subtle, living ways. This is a priceless preparation for a lifetime of learning. This gift is the transmission of culture."

No comments: