Tuesday, May 14, 2013

My New Favorite Supermodel

I'd be lying if I said those were words I ever expected to say, but here they are, and totally true. I have a crush on Cameron Russell.

If you don't know about TED Talks, that is a situation that needs to be remedied immediately. If nothing else, you should acquaint yourself with them now because I'm almost guaranteed to post more of them here in the future. I've never seen one that wasn't fantastic, and most of them are pretty mind-blowing considering how short they are (usually five to twenty minutes, sometimes longer; this one's just under ten). 

Cameron Russell's talk is a good example. It's not earth-shattering, but it's a fascinating perspective most of us probably haven't had the opportunity to hear much of (because how many supermodels do you know?). It's also an interesting commentary on the way appearances affect our lives. "Image is powerful, but also, image is superficial. I just totally transformed what you thought of me in six seconds"—which she did by changing how she looked on stage. If you have ten spare minutes today, this would be an excellent way to spend them.

No comments: