Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Truths I've learned from Anne of Green Gables

My grandparents own a cabin in Island Park Idaho, where I spent many summers as a child. There was a large collection of what we called "cabin movies," which were essentially movies that were kept at the cabin that we'd watch obsessively every trip.

Among our collection was the Megan Follows version of Anne of Green Gables. I have been thinking about Anne (spelled with an E) recently, and decided to read L. M. Montgomery's novels, along with watching the movies again. Here are some truths I've learned from Cordelia Anne Shirley.

1) Cultivate your imagination “It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will.” 

2) Apologize profusely and sincerely "Oh, Mrs. Lynde, I am so extremely sorry," she said with a quiver in her voice. "I could never express all my sorrow, no, not if I used up a whole dictionary. You must just imagine it. I behaved terribly to you--and I've disgraced the dear friends, Matthew and Marilla, who have let me stay at Green Gables although I'm not a boy. I'm a dreadfully wicked and ungrateful girl, and I deserve to be punished and cast out by respectable people forever. It was very wicked of me to fly into a temper because you told me the truth. It was the truth; every word you said was true. My hair is red and I'm freckled and skinny and ugly. What I said to you was true, too, but I shouldn't have said it. Oh, Mrs. Lynde, please, please, forgive me. If you refuse it will be a lifelong sorrow on a poor little orphan girl would you, even if she had a dreadful temper? Oh, I am sure you wouldn't. Please say you forgive me, Mrs. Lynde."

3) Dream Big “Oh, it's delightful to have ambitions. I'm so glad I have such a lot. And there never seems to be any end to them-- that's the best of it. Just as soon as you attain to one ambition you see another one glittering higher up still. It does make life so interesting.” 

4) Learn from mistakes 
Anne: "But have you ever noticed one encouraging thing about me, Marilla? I never make the same mistake twice".
Marilla: "I don't know as that's much benefit when you're always making new ones".

5) Learn from failures “I've done my best, and I begin to understand what is meant by 'the joy of strife'. Next to trying and winning, the best thing is trying and failing.” 

And always remember...

"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it."


No comments: